Thursday 31 January 2008

"Such is life"

So this blog is a day belated. I wrote it, but had to save it to deal with some things at home. Fortunately, I have a very good friend who gave me the advice-inspired title for this blog.

Happy Birthday Erica!Today was the first of a few 21st birthdays to be celebrated across the pond (Mine is the last I think). Not your typical 21st since we all have to get up and go to work tomorrow, but nonetheless a reason to celebrate!



Today we went to Tate Britain for our BLC field trip and learned about some of the finer points of ancient British art. I was naturally drawn to two pieces, a sculpture and a painting, that featured three girls- sisters. The first piece of art on the tour was Antonio Canova's statue "The Three Graces." The daughters of Zeus stand together and represent the qualities of beauty, elegance and joy. Later on, we saw Sir Joshua Reynolds painting of three sisters in "Three Ladies Adorning a Term of Hyman." The women in the piece are gathering flowers to decorate an alter for the Roman god of marriage, Hyman. I liked this one because the youngest sister is knelt down looking up at the older two in admiration. No photography is allowed. Hopefully these will suffice:

Afterwards, Ambika and I went to Yo! Sushi in the Food Hall at Selfridges. We were in search of these adorable birthday cupcakes for Erica that we had spotted weeks earlier, but needed to make a pit stop at Yo!'s. It was my first time eating at a sushi bar with one of those conveyor belts and I loved it. Everything was delicious and the limited amount of carbs was a nice change from the life of cereal and peanut butter and jelly that I currently live. I picked up some pear sorbet for dessert and came home for a quick nap before a quaint birthday dinner (For those of you wondering, Marvin wasn't invited). All in all a pretty nice day off work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've always liked the 3 girls / 3 sisters in art.
Hope Erica had a good B-Day. Sounds like she spent time with good friends.