Thursday 24 January 2008

Splish, splash I was taking a bath...

Wednesday was our first out of town field trip to Stonehenge and Bath.Stonehenge was not at all what I thought it would be (I don't exactly know what I thought it would be). I thought it was going to take up a massive area and the stones were going to be very spread out. The stones themselves were massive, but the area that they were in was a lot more compact than I thought it would be. What is cool about Stonehenge is that even though it is in the middle of nowhere, it is so significant. There is so much mystery in the area- why is it there, how did it get there, etc.

In a way, it seems as though the rocks have just been sitting there for hundreds of years without any rhyme or reason. Yet, in actuality, there was so much thought and planning that must have gone into the final act of building the creation. It is crazy to think of the lack of technology that put together this amazing structure, and the fact that it still remains.

It's hard to describe. I felt like such a tourist, because like I said it is in the middle of nowhere, so you have to go with the intent of seeing it, but at the same time, it felt very meaningful to be in a place with so much history where so many people have been before me.

Afterwards we were back on the buses and headed to Bath. We toured the Roman Baths, which we also cool because they operate with the exact same natural pumps and drains as when the Roman were there. What an advanced civilization!

The water was as green as the pictures indicate. It may or may not be radioactive, and steam is constantly rising up from it. A little creepy, but cool none the less.

The town of Bath was remarkably quaint. It is exactly what I think of when I think of a tiny European town with short streets that wind around in every which way, little shops with homemade goodies and vendors in the streets. It was a perfectly grey day in England and I managed to find yet another fashion museum. Not as cool as either of the other exhibits I have seen, but it had worthwhile information and some cool sketches of original designs.

Here are the photos.

After our day in the country, it's back to work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Falling into the green water of the Roman bath would be scary.
Another Beta John, just like at home.
Cool pictures - Thanks for the album post!