Thursday 24 January 2008

Ruffles are in

After almost a week as an intern at Drapers, I have learned many things. The first and foremost is that I hate riding the tube. It is so crowded in the morning and it takes me 45 minutes to get to the office. Imagine standing crammed in between dozens of strangers while you all bump back and forth into each other for almost an hour. Not pleasant. Oh how I long for the relaxing nature of the BNSF railway from the western suburbs into the city- A much more desirable morning commute.

I have been doing a lot of cold calling this week, which is nothing less than thrilling. Not. But I am becoming familiar with certain brands and names, which is proving to be more and more helpful everyday. I am also getting to do some writing tomorrow that will appear in the Feb. 2 issue of the magazine. I think you should be able to check it out online.

The office is very cool- new and modern. There are lots of magazines in our floor and no real separation between each one. The entire place is open (no cubes mom) and so there are always people coming and going.

There are two British interns who are very nice, and unfortunately leaving tomorrow. I spent a lot of time with them today and got to ask a lot of questions about the internship and London in general. They are a very valuable resource to me and I will be sorry to see them go.

I am completely wiped out at the end of the day. I don't have to be up nearly as early as I did this summer, but for some reason I am more tired and less hungry at the end of the day. I'm sure I will get used to it as time goes on. Until then, I will continue to go to sleep at 9:30.

Family that is coming in the summer: Let me know if there are any places you want me to check out for you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm guessing that your tube experience will serve you well when you're riding the subway to your magazine job in New York.
Glad to hear you got some inside info on the internship.
Let us know for sure about your piece in the magazine.
Checking out sites will come after we figure out an itinery