Saturday 26 January 2008

Born to Hand Jive, Baby

The last Friday of every month the V & A stays open late, brings in a dj and serves drinks. We got there a little late, but definitely saw the best that the museum had to offer that night: a group of guests so moved by the atmosphere, and who knows what else, that they turned the entranceway into a dance floor- and tore it up.

After taking a spin around the museum, the first floor of which I have already studied in great detail, I stopped in the front entranceway underneath an enormous Chihuly glass sculpture. I sat on a bench to examine the delicate forms of blue and green glass swirling down from the ceiling. At the same time, something else caught my eye. The dj was located in the same entrance rotunda that I had stopped in and a group had gathered in front of the speakers. The dj was joined by another guy who prompted the next track by saying, "He always tells me not to play this, but I'm going to anyway."

I was nervous. But the next thing I heard was the familiar intro of "Born to Hand Jive." As a dancer, I couldn't stay seated. I stood up by a few friends who had gathered by me and started to casually rock to the beats. Suddenly, all attention was drawn to a couple whose dance moves were nothing short of spectacular. Breaking out in a 50s style swing with improvised partnering, all eyes were on them. They moved in perfect unity despite the spastic movements of their choreography and with an inhibition that is usually only expressed in front of one's bedroom mirror.

But when I looked around, what I noticed was even more interesting. My passion for dance has stemmed from many years of training and studying the art, but what is truly amazing about it is that anyone, anywhere, can dance.

The two in the center of a loosely formulated circle danced so freely that others were slowly drawn to them. They looked like they were having so much fun that others around, who weren't going to be as footloose or fancy free as them, found their own level of comfort with their moves. Coming out from the center of the circle, invisible tiers formed for different levels of energy and steps. There were women swaying with their friends, a drunk guy off by his lonesome and me, two-stepping in place with the occasional hand jive movements. I loved that everyone just put what they had out there. Whether it was a freedom and carelessness that allowed them to go all out or an understated little sway in rhythm with the music, the atmosphere was perfect for all.

What a wonderful way to bring people together. To evoke joy and lightheartedness. To burn a few calories. And to enjoy London.

I was absolutely obsessed with the energy in the room. People clapped and cheered when the song ended. There was a sense of unity felt by everyone in the room, whether they were workin it on the dance floor, or a few steps back groovin to their own tune. It was all smiles, and I truly think everyone around who could acknowledge this was sublimely happy. I know I was.

What a wonderful art, dance. The ability to make people happy and feel good about themselves, to find their own level of comfort, to be able to do it anywhere and with any level of expertise (including none at all).

I am so fortunate to have this as a hobby and to have found a way to experience it here in London.

No comments: