Tuesday 29 September 2009

"You're only as sick as your secrets"

Have you heard how the recession is making people healthier?

Well, it's true. At least it's true for me. Because I don't have to get up and go to work every day, I get up and go to the gym every day. Otherwise I would lay in bed all morning and just stare at the wall, which, I won't lie, has happened one or two times since graduation. Anyway, I get up and walk the two blocks to my neighborhood gym in order to see the Today show before it gets all Hoda and Kathie Lee. This way, I am enriching my mind and body at the same time (see, healthier).

Today, I watched a very interesting segment with Carrie Fisher. At first I thought it was just a book/show promotion, and then I thought it was another Mackenzie Phillips story about how growing up in the spotlight isn't as great as it seems (who thought it was?), but then I realized that what she had to say was very relevant to the current state of my own life.

Matt Lauer points out that in her new Broadway show she takes situations that most people would think are not funny and brings comedy to them. She says that once you "can claim something, you have more power over it. You're only as sick as your secrets... I say my weak things in a strong voice."

And thus you have the reason for my blogging. So eat your heart out, 10% unemployment rate. Seriously watch the interview. It's less than 10 minutes and she has some really interesting things to say about adolescence, mental illness and Michael Jackson.

No comments: