Monday 14 September 2009

Grandparents' Day


Yesterday was National Grandparents' Day, so my mom and I decided to take Grandma Barb to see Julie & Julia (don't tell her I had already seen it). We were a bit over zealous about the idea when we looked up movie times and accidentally got to the theater over an hour early. To kill time, we asked Grandma if she wanted to get any errands done and then did everything but drag her to Menards to buy some African Violet potting soil (she wanted to sit and wait at the theater while we just went... we told her she was kind of missing the point of Grandparents' Day.

When we got back to the theater for the movie (at the correct time), we took our seats and said "Surprise! We also rented out the whole theater!" (Not really, but we were the only ones in there until about half way through the previews when about three other people strolled in.)

She enjoyed the movie, but not the previews asking me at one point, "We did come to see the movie, right?" I even heard her laugh out loud at Meryl's loud portrayal of Julia Child. Afterward we brought her to our house for dinner. Mom tells me we are no longer to give Grandma the option of coming for dinner. Instead we are just to tell her that we have prepared a light supper and then we will take her home. I think a 93-year-old woman should be able to decide if she wants to come for dinner or not, but I'd rather not disagree with my mom on this one. Living at home, I've learned to pick my battles :)

Before we started cooking, Mom and I put on our pearls (hers are my Grandma Barb's and mine are my Aunt Pat's) so we could be just like Julia, and when we served our delicious (and dairy-free) dinner we said in our best Julia impressions, "Bon appetit!"


As we were leaving the theater, Mom said, "You could turn your blog into a vegan version of Julia Child's book!" Enticing, but I don't know how I would get around boning a duck....

No comments: