Sunday 18 October 2009

PS22

My sister sent me this video from YouTube the other day and I haven't been able to stop watching these kids since (no, not the balloon boy- that family doesn't need any more publicity than they have already managed to get).



And apparently I am not the only fan of PS22 (check out their blog). My girls Beyoncé and Gaga fell in love with the group after they were invited to Billboard magazine's Women in Music Celebration Brunch. Ashton Kutcher tweets about them. And Perez has put them up on his site too.

These Staten Islanders are so lovably ordinary, except for their musical abilities. They look like every other grade school choir, until just one of them opens his or her mouth and starts to sing. And their excitement is undeniably contagious. Watching them sing and dance to "Just Dance" made me want to be there rockin' out with them.

They have gained popularity solely through the Internet and the efforts of their teacher (and veritable saint) Gregg Breinberg. He started posted videos of his kids on YouTube in 2006; now they have their own channel. Read more in the NY Times article.

Finally, here are the kiddos doing my favorite song of all time:

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Okay, I think I might just be a little overly emotional, but watching those kids and their enthusiasm made me cry just a bit! I love it.

And thank you for your lovely comments. I think of you often, and also how lucky I am to have known you as a classmate, roommate and friend. Hope you're well, and keep the posts coming!

xx