Wednesday 7 October 2009

So long, Gourmet

This week, Condé Nast closed four magazines. Goodbye, Gourmet, Cookie, Elegant Bride and Modern Bride.

What a time to be looking for a job in magazines!

Personally, I don't think there need to be as many bridal magazines on the market as there currently are, but Gourmet? Really?


The Boston Globe ran a very creative editorial "Gourmet Magazine, 1941-2009: A recipe of obsolescence" that summarizes this great loss. Gourmet was a truly beautiful magazine, and I am sad to have lost it for that reason (because we all know my culinary skills aren't up to that level, nor could I digest half of the dishes in its pages), but what makes me even more sad is that it proves the recession is winning- in more ways than one.

The magazine closed because ad revenue had dropped too low (1 point for the recession), and the closing means jobs lost for Condé employees and less jobs for eager grads like myself (point 2). I am also afraid that it ultimately means Americans are giving up the "gourmet" way of life. First, the elimination of rich foods and gorgeous cocktails and second, the magazines that feature them (point 3).

But I refuse to let the recession beat the magazine industry or myself. I will continue to subscribe and pick up news stand copies in the hope that industry will prevail and one day have a job to offer me. It's karma- what goes around comes around. And even the recession can't deny karma.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm mourning our loss too. It was a sad day for food lovers the world wide. You're right — the closing of Gourmet represents a bigger issue. Let's start a campaign to keep buying magazines and drinking cocktails!