Sunday 20 April 2008

Weekend Update

As I embark on my last week in London...

Friday afternoon was spent at the Imperial War Museum with Jon. Although the museum itself was pretty cool, my favorite part was definitely all the little boys who ran around dodging invisible bullets and making the accompanying sounds. They had an extensive Holocaust exhibit also, which I appreciated considering I missed the opportunity to see the museum in DC on my eighth grade class trip when a boy feel asleep in a Borders while we sat on a bus waiting for him for hours. Thank you, James Bailey.

Saturday Sarah and I headed to Portobello Road and made some great purchases at the markets (perhaps a few gifts for family and friends...) We then returned a cello she rented (because, yes, Sarah is also an accomplished cellist) and I met Kiernan and Jon at the Nordic Bakery, which is known for minimalistic environment and delicious cinnamon buns.

Saturday night a mouse ran over my foot. My bare foot. I was turned off the bathroom light and apparently that's where he was headed. I felt his fat, warm body whiz over my foot and then heard his little paws continue across the bathroom floor. I will not be entering the bathroom without shoes, unless to suffer through a shower.

This morning, Sarah and I headed to Euston to the Wellcome Collection (I don't really know how to explain it, so I'll let their website do it for me: Wellcome Collection is a unique mix of galleries, events, and meeting, reading and eating places where you can consider what it means to be human.

It brings to life Sir Henry Wellcome's vision of a place where people could learn more about the development of medicine through the ages and across cultures.

to see a photographic exhibit: "Life before death". A journalist and photographer captured the final months of fatally ill hospice members (including a portrait of them after they had passed). The exhibit provoked some really interesting questions on what we can learn from death and those who are dying. I assure you, it wasn't all as morbid as it sounds, but I did tear up at the story of a mother with breast cancer.

No comments: