Sunday 30 March 2008

Cambridge and Oxford Boat Races


Yesterday after finally getting Mom and Dad on a flight back to the states (I didn't say which state), a bunch of us headed to the Thames for the historic Cambridge and Oxford boat races (on of the few free sporting events in London). Since 1829, the two schools have challenged each other to this race, which officially begins the English "social season" (whatever that means). I guess Oxford won (we were along the middle of the course), but I couldn't see anything anyway.

In typical London fashion, what started out as a nice day became miserable about the time we departed the Hammersmith tube station for the race. The wind made is quite difficult to hold my umbrella and Heineken and the umbrellas infront of me completely blocked my view of the river, but I was happy to be alongside fellow Londoners participating in such a valued tradition. Above is a shot of the race from the area we were standing and "watching".

No comments: