Sunday 24 February 2008

Lisa's Visit: A week in review

Suzi and I had the pleasure of hosting Lisa, Bridget and Bridgette this week. Here is a recap of their visit (also known as the best week of my life):

Sunday: Brunch at Balans, Portobello Markets and the ElectricSunday started off with breakfast at Balans, the greatest place for eggs benedict in the entire city (thank you Suzi). Afterwards, we went to the markets on Portobello Road, which is an excellent weekend activity in London, but I was too excited by the girls' arrival to shop seriously. Drinks and appetizers at the Electric were the perfect end to the day.

Monday: Historic Pub Crawl along the Thames River

The girls' met Suzi and I after work for the London Walks Along the Thames Pub Walk. It was a chilly night, but we stopped in some cute pubs along the way to warm up.
Tuesday: London Eye and Thai Pub

Dusk proved to be the perfect time to take advantage of the London Eye. Neither Suzi nor I had been yet, so the girls' visit was the perfect opportunity to see the city lit up from above. Afterwards, we went to a pub in Nottinghill, The Churchill Arms, which doubles as a Thai restaurant. It was some of the best Thai food I have had here yet (besides the Papaya Tree on High Street Kensington) and was extremely reasonably priced.


Wednesday: Dover and Canterbury

This week's field trip featured another boring trip to a castle in Dover with absolutely no sign of any white cliffs...

Afterwards, we were back on the bus to Canterbury (I'm still not quite sure why) and in their cathedral. The architecture inside and out of the cathedral was beautiful, but with the prospect of my birthday in the near future, I lost interest quickly.

I did notice this very cool tile on the cathedral floor that made me think of my cousin Michael.

Wednesday night we kicked off the birthday celebrations at Maddox, and I had my first drink as a 21 year old.




Thursday: Birthday!

"Birthday festivities" (Lisa's term for opening presents sent from my wonderful family) began at Suzi's and preceeded the best dinner of my London career at Signor Sassi. Singing waiters and a delicious meal were more than I could have asked for, but the night continued to The Loop for drinks. I am proud to say, I woke up without a trace of a hangover the next day!


Friday: Buckingham Palace and Dolce

I took the day off Friday and went with the girls to Buckingham Palace (we didn't see Harry). At night, we met up with some of Suzi and Mia's friends at Dolce, which is probably the sweetest place I have been yet [the male company wasn't bad either :) ].

MORE PHOTOS HERE.

1 comment:

colleen said...

kristin- it sounds like you are having the time of your life, I am very jealous. The midwest just isn't as glamorous as London.

I'm happy you had such a good birthday!

:)