Saturday 16 February 2008

The Best Day Ever

Yesterday was definitely one of the most exciting of my life.

I went to my first catwalk show: Louise Amstrup (not the show I thought I was going to). The show was at the Royal Academy of the Arts, which is a much smaller venue than I was anticipating, and was a part of On/Off (a portion of London Fashion week). Before the show, I was interviewed while waiting in the holding area. Check out the interview.

The collection was very naturalistic. The clothing was a odd mix of tailored pants and flowy dresses. I was definitely captivated the entire time though.

After watching so many seasons of America's Next Top Model, I now understand why a model's walk is so important. Some of the models were not very seasoned, as seen in their bouncy walks, poor posture and duck-like faces. Those girls definitely took away from the clothing,
however those that could walk made me want to wear whatever they were wearing.

After getting the afternoon off work to go to the show, I came home for a short cat nap
following the catwalk :)
Last night, Sarah and I went to see the Royal Ballet perform three pieces: Chroma (the most amazing thing I have ever seen choreographed to an orchestra's rendition of the White Stripes), The Different Drummer and The Rite of Spring. The theater itself is magnificent with red velvet seating and soft lighting throughout, but the performances certainly outshined the venue.

Chroma was a perfect display of the athleticism of a professional ballet dancer combined with the fluid grace and strength of their movements. I could have been knocked over with a feather watching these gorgeous women wrap themselves around their partners as though they were no more than a strip of rubber. The men were exquisitely strong and incredibly flexible and fluid as well. All in all, a perfect contemporary display of traditional ballet technique taken beyond the tutu.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your weekend got off to such a great start. Fashion 'up close' and the more modern interpretation of those ballet pieces are so you.
Did you want us to get the picture to Miss Jackie?