Thursday 5 August 2010

Vogue Can Wait

Ever since my sister introduced me to Sex and the City, at arguably too young of an age, I have been hooked. We would come home from school, pop in a VHS and not move until the end of the tape. We'd be sitting in the dark with only the glow of the television when my mom would come home from work and find us mesmerized by women far beyond our age.
I'm a Carrie. I don't have as avant garde of a fashion sense, and am much more cynical, but I'm definitely led by my emotions the way she is. Most of all, I'm a writer. And I always identified with her reflective self-questioning, imagination and desire to romanticism, which is often characteristic of those in the profession.

It seems that no matter what I've been going through in my life, I can find an episode where Carrie is going through it too.


Recently, I put in the first disc of season five (because VHS is obsolete) in search of an episode I knew of where Carrie is in a rut with her career. Sitting at her computer, she reflects on her situation and says, "The worst thing about not being in a relationship, is when your job is to write about being in a relationship."

Lucky for me, I write about life's gaps and getting through them. And since I started writing two years ago, I have realized that no matter where in the world you are or how old you are, every stage of life has "gaps." I never run out of things to write about, but then again, I don't have a book of my blog posts... Oh well, even Carrie Bradshaw didn't start out at Vogue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good thing you have a Charlotte as a best friend. I love your writing style in this post! And god bless Sex and the City.