Wednesday 6 October 2010

It's All Relative

I watched the most fascinating Oprah today.


Oprah's guest today was Kim Nobel, a woman who lives with 20 different personalities. Technically, Kim is diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID) as a result of, what her doctors believe, was childhood abuse. Kim's daughter and most dominant personality (or alter) will tell you, however, that Kim doesn't exist.

Kim's daughter was asked what it's like to be raised by a mother with multiple personalities and responded that it's normal to her, "I haven't seen any different," she said. Just another one of those things in life where it's all what you know; it's all relative.

The woman's story was fascinating, but what peaked my interest is the way that her therapist suggested the personalities express themselves- through painting. After working with an art therapist for a short time, Kim and 13 of her personalities took up painting. Each personality focuses on their own colors and themes, and their work is entirely unique to their story.

Artwork by Kim Nobel's alters


I have always been interested in art therapy. Dancing used to be a huge stress reliever for me, and now, I write to relieve stress. Art allows people to indirectly express themselves, which is therapeutic and also beautiful. I think it is an excellent form of therapy and pain management, and I hope to see the field develop further in the future- maybe even as a result of people seeing this show.

For those who don't know, it's Mental Illness Awareness Week (Oct. 3-9, 2010). Here's hoping that the stigmas attached to mental illness will soon become a thing of the past!


AND I've added a new blog to my blogroll. Drum roll please....

My friends Anna and Becca are behind Supporting our Siblings: Advocating and Educating, a blog devoted to mental health issues. Both girls have a sibling who has been diagnosed with a mental illness and are taking to the blogosphere to facilitate conversation and slash the stigmas developed by not talking about mental illness. As I've said before, you're only as sick as your secrets, so way to put yourselves out there and talk about real issues!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristin
You might be interested in the book Touched With Fire by Kay Redfield Jamison. It is about creativity and manic depressive illness. Changes in mood have been documented in the artistic world for centuries. Art is a form of expression for the mentally ill and like you say, it can be used as a form of therapy. I am very excited about your interest in this field