Sunday 3 October 2010

Group Sleep-overs

Last night, I celebrated my cousin Leslie's 21st birthday. It was a really fun night, but I think the best part was the group sleep-over at my cousins' apartment. Laurel and Mike just moved to Chicago and graciously hosted all five of us.

The Birthday Girl and I at Laurel's wedding

Nick, Shannon, Leslie, John and I were spread across their living room floor on various air mattresses and couches. It reminded me of the sleep-overs my sisters and I had with Nick, Laurel and Leslie at Aunt Pat's when we were kids. The six of us used to line up across her living room floor as well, only there were no air mattresses back then- only sleeping bags.

My favorite memories from my childhood are all family related, many of them including my aunt. It's hard to believe that this October will be five years since we lost her.

My cousins and I at Aunt Pat's circa 1993

But October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which allows my family to both remember my aunt and support the cause through numerous outlets. I am happy to say that the past five years have made me incredibly optimistic about the advancements in prevention and treatment of the disease. There are so many options now- and so many ways for people to join the fight.

So, save your yogurt lids (I'm lucky Activia jumped on board this year), buy products that donate to breast cancer organizations or simply know your body so that you can detect any changes that may come your way. The future of breast cancer treatment is in your hands- literally.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristin,

Our sleepover totally reminded me of the same thing. I remember jumping on her bed at our sleepovers until we started falling off :) I can only imagine how many air mattresses we would have popped back in those days, haha. Thanks for posting and sharing the old picture of all of us!