Wednesday 21 July 2010

Pride in Presentation

I have one of those jobs that has a more glamorous title than the job itself. That is not to say that I don't enjoy my job, it is just A LOT of hard work. I mean, I was sweating climbing up and down a ladder in the stock room yesterday.

And then today I came across this article in my MediaJobsDaily email from MediaBistro: "Do You Need a New Job Title?" It told of big, "important" companies that were giving their employees more "fun" titles, such as the Minister of Comedy at E&Y, a 20-something consultant that was hired to bring life to their otherwise dull presentations. And the thing is, the people with these jobs (and titles) have "[a] sense of ownership of, engagement with, and excitement about their jobs..." How many of you can say that about your job title?

I was recently scoffed at trying to explain the hierarchy at my store and the difference between the Customer Experience team and the Merchandise Presentation team. This person said something along the lines of, why don't they just call everyone what they are- store managers. Well, here's why. Giving specific titles gives ownership over certain responsibilities. Not everyone in a huge corporation is a blanket VP, so why shouldn't there be distinguishing titles in the retail industry. How insulting!

I truly feel that no one is in a position to demean another person for any reason, but especially in regards to what they do for work. Different people are needed for different jobs, and these days, having any sort of job at all should make you feel good! These are trouble times, people!

PS I styled the new jewelry yesterday and am in love with some pieces (unfortunately they aren't all online so I can't show them all). Let me know if you need a 25% off coupon for this weekend- it's our Mad Men (yes, like the show) event.

No comments: